NAVIKA 3rd World Kannada Summit 2015
Room 304 Gnana Gangothri, September 5, 2015; 2 to 4 PM
Theme: Secret to Success in Public Education
Early education, right mentoring and good environment are very important to child’s education and future. Understanding of the education system, timely assistance and orientation helps the student to climb and achieve their goals and ambition faster with ease. A number of opportunities exists and are plenty in this day of information explosion. Sorting through these and focusing on what you want is challenging. This year’s NAVIKA education forum brings you an awareness of what the public education offers? What colleges expect? How to sail in colleges? How some our kids have accomplished/ accomplishing? And how our parents are helping?
The forum consists of two parts with one hour each. The part one is a panel presentation and discussion by invited speakers from county education coordinator, college admission director, and a college faculty/equivalent to share their program, requirements, navigation and potential opportunities to broaden knowledge and skills including the stress management. The second part is a by panel presentation by students and a parent. The students are: freshman scholar, fresh graduate/senior and a graduate student in higher education to share their preparation, experience and lessons learned. A parent shares how he/she mentored/assisted his/her child in early to high school education and impact of it on the child’s success. Each part of the forum concludes with questions and answers.
Panel 1: Education Opportunities, Evaluation and Managing 2 to 3 PM
Chair: Prof. Kunigal Shivakumar
- Guilford Count School System, Magnet Education Program Coordinator
- College Admission Director TBD
- Faculty: Prof. Narendra Singh, Methodist University, Fayetteville, NC
Panel 2: Success, Lessons Learned and Suggestion 3 to 4 PM
Chair: Prof. Shivappa Palled
- Abhishek Kulgod (Freshman, Stanford University)
- Vishwas Rao, (Sophomore, Park’s Scholar, NC State University)
- Anurag Angara, (Senior, Kenan-Flagler, UNC Chapel Hill)
- Vaibhav Ramprasad (Medical College, Duke University)
- Nayana Kanabur (Parent, Charlotte, NC)
About the Speakers:
- Abhishek Kulgod, A Freshman at Stanford University and recently graduated from the North Carolina School of Science and Math in Durham. His intrest include Economics, Political Science, Computer Science, and Chemistry. In High School he spent majority of his time competing in Speech & Debate and leading NCSSM’s Student Government as Student Body President.
- Vishwas Rao, a Junior at North Carolina State University. A Park Scholar and a member of the University Honors Program, he is majoring in Chemistry with minors in Spanish and Music. He has been conducting research on creating novel natural products. He writes for the school newspaper, the Technician, and has helped coordinate several service projects and events. Apart from his studies, he is a Carnatic vocalist and mridangam player, and plays Western flute in the Raleigh Civic Chamber Orchestra. He also enjoys running in road races.
- Anurag Angara, Senior at Kenan-Flagler Business School, UNC Chapel Hill, NC. He has spent the last two summers interning at Finance Institutions in NYC. After graduation he plans at Ernst & Young in NYC. His biggest hobby is traveling – he spent his last semester studying in Singapore and traveling Southeast Asia.
- Vaibhav Ramprasad, 3rd year Medical student at, Duke University) “Vaibhav is currently a third-year medical student at Duke University School of Medicine. He obtained his undergraduate degree in biochemistry and zoology from Miami University, Ohio. Prior to that he attended High School at The International School in Bangalore.
- Nayana Kanabur: Born and brought up in Mysore, currently resides in Charlotte NC and works as a risk analyst for Citibank. Married to Madhav Kanabur has two kids, a son Pratik who is a second year medical student at Virginia Tech medical school and a daughter Pooja who is a senior at Ardrey Kell High School.